Friday, January 26, 2018

Ignited

It’s January. It’s sunny and almost fifty degrees. And I have a plane ticket back to ZAAAAMBIA!

Part of me feels like I can just skip over the who, what, where, and why of this trip because it will be trip four for me to my favorite place. But…I know that it’s just as important to explain the logistics if you don’t know what’s up, and even if you do, it might just refresh your memory for my passion ;)  

-So here goes-

In 2011 I went to Zambia with a group of some of my closest friends for Habitat for Humanity. We traveled there at the same time as three members from Ridgepoint church who were checking in to see how their partnership organization, the Jubilee Centre, was doing. At the end of each day, we all got together at our lodge and processed what we saw, did, and how the Lord was working. The sparks started flying and I have burned ever since for the land of Zed.

In 2014, I had a chance to return (okay, I had other opportunities to return before that and after that- but financially and logistically I couldn’t always say yes even though it killed me. God has his own time). I went with a group from Ridgepoint going to specifically bring child counselors to teach pastors and volunteers from the church about emotional and child development as well as how to interact with and properly care for a child’s physical, spiritual, mental, and emotional well-being. Flames growing.

In 2017, I packed my bags for the whole month of June. I stayed with an amazing couple who is so close to my heart- learned a million new things- and grew so much in my faith, as a counselor, and as a human being. The first three weeks I was on my own- flying and traveling- all by myself. Never, ever, ever did I think I would skip town, my husband, my family, my friends, my work (my tortilla chips!!) - for a whole month. Red, hot fire.

With fire comes risk and burns. Unlike a sharp burn that makes you jump back and scream and say “never again,” the heartache that can come with the experiences in Zambia or anywhere really can have a dulling sensation over time. I was quite surprised that while I was there I only cried a handful of times- in fact I would say I only “felt” a handful of times. My wall was up, and it was helping me to do my job. I was in “go” mode—how can we streamline this counseling process in Zambia, what do I need to add to the counseling manual, how can we change the country, oh wait that’s not helpful cultural or ethical thinking, oh but people are hurting, blah. blah. blah. Scrambled eggs, furry of feelings, steps of my soul. blank.

 And I went “offline.” As you can see, the blog stopped in July. My passion hasn’t, nor has my processing, but it’s tough to put into words and to push it out for public consumption. I don’t want to roll out any certain expectations for myself this round either, but I do really want to share my heart and this fire. I want others to find theirs- to be ignited. It awakens an entirely different piece of my being, no matter how tired I am.

I just can’t even wait. We are going with such a precious group too--well, okay, we always do—but I am so over joyed to be able to finally share this experience with my husband. He is my die hard supporter and fan and I can’t wait to show him this land that I love so much. The people, the relationships, the faith, the encouragement, the humanity.

Thank you for your prayers and support. Thank you for being on the journey.
Blessings,

Ms Mavis


No comments:

Post a Comment