Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Zambia 2017

(this was originally posted on 2/13/17-- just wanted to add some of my previous posts to this blog)

Ok folks,

IT'S HAPPENING! And sooner than I feel like I can plan for... 

Below are some of the details of the trip and my fundraising letter. I will be also mailing this to some people (we moved in the last few weeks, so finding my address book is on my list, but it certainly hasn't happened yet). Please let me know if you would prefer a hard copy mailed to you. While pieces of me know that fundraising is a giant piece of this, the awkward, uncomfortable part of me hates this part and likes to avoid it. Because it means fully trusting God to provide. And I struggle sometimes to "accept" support; as a perfectionist in "un-training", my insecurity prefers to "do it myself."

I can't do this myself. I don't feel like I am even the one doing it- it's 100% the Lord. I am just thankful to be the medium and for the opportunity to love and trust without borders. 

I will continue to post as I prepare for the trip. Thank you for joining me! 
................................

I am so excited to share with you that I have signed up to return to Zambia this summer for a service trip with Winning At Home! It is a blessing to be given another opportunity to serve and foster the relationships I have already made at the Jubilee Center.

In the past, we have gone for about two weeks and usually have very time-targeted missions. For this trip I will go for a bit longer; I will be gone from May 30th through the end of June. This extended time will give me an irreplaceable opportunity to learn and understand the culture in a more thorough way; which will help us most efficiently and effectively support this ministry. During my time, I will focus primarily on how Winning At Home can continue to support a newly developing counseling center, an interim home (a new sort of “foster care” system), volunteers, schools, and churches. I will be spending time in Ndola and Lusaka with the Jubilee Center, founded by Pastor Lawrence and Martha Temfwe. For the final week, I will meet up with my supervisor, Dr. Emilie DeYoung and Dr. Catherine Mueller-Bell. These two incredible ladies have written and presented a manual to Zambian pastors as well as volunteers about the importance of caring for children and trauma in previous trips. We will revise this manual with cultural implications and spend time with the counselors who are actively using it.

While a door has been opened for me to develop a greater heart of compassion for God’s people around the world, the exciting part is that you will be able to share in this journey with me. I will need many prayers for this trip- prayers for courage, peace, wisdom, health, travel, discernment; prayers for the impact on my heart and on Zambia. Prayers for my family, friends, and clients while I am away and lots of prayers that I don’t see any snakes - please! I plan on keeping a blog and posting photos while I am there when I can get access to the internet.  

I also need financial support. My trip will cost around $6,000 and I trust that God will provide. This will cover my transportation, lodging, food, and other expenses for the month. If you are able to give financially, please make checks payable to Winning At Home and send to:

ATTN: Mavis Winning at Home
 300 S State Street Suite 13
Zeeland, MI 49464

Please add a sticky note onto the check (NOTE: NOT in the memo field***) that says “Mavis-Zambia.” Please send in your donations by April 28th. You will receive a tax deduction letter from WAH for 2017. 

 I am so grateful for your prayers and if you feel led to contribute financially, your support will be greatly appreciated as well.  My heart is so thankful for this opportunity to love on God’s children and so many other incredible people.



Blessings,

Mavis Szubelak

No comments:

Post a Comment